The following message is transmitted at the request of Missoula Avalanche
Center Missoula MT.
...AVALANCHE WARNING ISSUED BY THE MISSOULA AVALANCHE CENTER...
06:09 MST Fri Jan 27 2023
The Missoula Avalanche Center in Missoula has issued a BACKCOUNTRY AVALANCHE
WARNING for the following areas:
NWS Missoula MT -
MT 061 (Mineral County)...MT 063 (Missoula County)...MT 077 (Powell
County)...MT 081 (Ravalli County)
* WHAT...The avalanche danger in the Rattlesnake Mountains is high this
morning. The hazard will rise to high today in the mountains around Seeley
Lake, and the Bitterroot Mountains.
* WHERE...The Rattlesnake mountains, southern Missions, and southern Swans,
Lolo Pass, Northern, and Central Bitterroot Mountains.
* WHEN...In effect from Fri 06:09 MST to Sat 06:09 MST.
* IMPACTS...Recent and continuing heavy snow combined with wind will likely
create widespread areas of unstable snow.
* PRECAUTIONARY / PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...Very dangerous avalanche
conditions. Travel in avalanche terrain is not recommended.
Consult https://missoulaavalanche.org/ or www.avalanche.org for more
Similar avalanche danger may exist at locations outside the coverage area of
this or any avalanche center.
...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM MST
* WHAT...For the Winter Storm Warning, heavy snow, blowing snow,
and flash freeze expected. Total snow accumulations of 4 to 6
inches. A flash freeze and areas of blowing and drifting snow
will impact roadways as the arctic boundary arrives early
* WHERE...Missoula/Bitterroot Valleys.
* WHEN...From 1 PM Friday to 1 PM MST Saturday.
* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. Areas of blowing
snow could significantly reduce visibility and a flash freeze
will make roads and sidewalks very slick.
If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food, and water in
your vehicle in case of an emergency.
The latest road conditions for the state you are calling from can
be obtained by calling 5 1 1.